Students are expected to arrive on time for their lesson. Lessons missed by the student because of illness or emergency will be rescheduled at a mutually agreeable time. In the case of illness, if the school is not notified before the scheduled lesson time, the lesson will be forfeited. In the case of vacations, a maximum of 3 makeup lessons will be allowed and the teacher must be given at least 7 days prior notice. Lessons missed by the student for any other reason are forfeited. However, the teacher may occasionally make up other lessons missed by the student if sufficient notice is given and if the privilege is not abused. All such make-up lessons are at the sole discretion of the student’s teacher.
- For younger students, parents are expected to observe the lesson. This includes taking copious notes so that they may help their child with practice throughout the week. This will ensure the steady progress of the lessons.
- Parents are also expected to help their young child practice at home. The teacher will remain in close contact with the parent and communicate when this is no longer necessary.
- Parents are encouraged to get involved with their child’s piano lessons, regardless of their age.
- More details on parental involvement
- Consistent practice is expected of each student. It is often best to schedule practice time and make it part of the daily routine. If regular practice is not maintained, Kansas City School of Music reserves the right to discontinue lessons.
- The parent is responsible for the child’s high quality practice 45 minutes per day, seven days per week.
- A well-maintained piano to practice on at home is very important, especially as the student advances.
- Electronic keyboards are unacceptable as the primary practice instrument. However, an 88-key digital piano with fully weighted keys is acceptable for the first year of private piano instruction.
- The piano should be in an area free of distractions
- Bench height and distance should be adjusted appropriately as discussed in lessons.
- If the student’s feet do not touch the floor, a stool or box should be placed so that the feet are stabilized.
- Nails are to be kept trimmed.
- No food, gum, or drink (except water) is allowed into the lesson.
- Parents are expected to support the teacher when student behavior is inappropriate.
- Disrespect for the teacher will not be tolerated.
- Students are expected to purchase books and materials promptly. Failure to do so will affect the progress of the lessons.